My blog got deleted the first time I wrote it. This is annoying. In the meantime, I had some thoughts about the death sentence. In Texas, they have what I like to call the “Carpool Lane.” This is when three or more people have witnessed you murder the victim, you will not sit on death row for 25 years, they rush you right to the front. It makes perfect sense. In Texas, if you kill someone, they will kill you back. I think this could apply to the death penalty in general.
I think that if we applied the laws that the “Carpool Lane’ does in Texas to the normal ones we use today. I.e. if you were seen murdering someone and there are four witnesses, you will receive the penalty. Whereas if there are not as many witnesses, the convict would get a life sentence. I think that makes more sense that just killing everyone. People were given the right to be alive, no matter how crazy they are, they are still people deep down.
On a completely separate note, I had a thought about what we, as Americans don’t know nearly enough about our government. Did you know that Google earth could zoom into my drive and get a half decent picture from what seems like 50 feet up? Google earth is a free public program. Let us say that they put a million dollars of funding into Google earth, they could zoom in close enough to get a picture of my license plate. I find that slightly frightening. They can see into our houses, they can tap our phones, and they can do so many things behind our backs.
I think the government needs to think things through better. In tryouts for orchestras, they have the person perform behind a curtain so they judge by talent, not race or gender. What if the court system went the same way? What if everything was done electronically? All the jurors sit in separate cubicles talking through some sort of messaging service. They can communicate with the judge and other court people. This prevents prejudice against the defendant, the judge, everyone. Although, I can see how this could become a problem. If someone can’t type, if the system gets hacked, there is just a plethora of options to mess it up. I think the solution to this would be to do the same thing as the orchestras. Put the defendant behind a curtain and have him dictate to a lawyer what he wants to say. Also, separate the judge, lawyers, and jury. The jury could be together I guess, but the judge and lawyers and jury should never see each other.
Well, that’s my view on the government and carpool lanes. Peace out guys
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment